Monday, 6 August 2012

Week 1.2 Mindmapping tools

This week we are doing three categories of webtools:
1) Mindmapping
2) Podcasting
3) Photo sharing

Just to keep the element of surprise I think I will only mention the tools we are learning about that day - to keep you coming back out of curiosity!!! (I'll see how that works!) So today we have the category of Mindmapping and I am going to mention two free online mindmapping tools that I like to use, a simple one and a more elaborate one. 

Why mindmap?

Mindmapping is a great thinking tool. It has been suggested that this visual technique can improve learning and study efficiency up to 15% over conventional note-taking. It is also a very popular planning technique and definitely something one should introduce in every classroom.  It is a great way to brainstorm and generate ideas. 


1. Use bubbl.us to mindmap

What I like about bubbl.us is that it is a simple non-elaborate mindmapping tool that is easy to catch on to, and is useful for a younger class.  It can be accessed at https://bubbl.us/.  This is what a completed bubbl.us mindmap might look like. It has an attractive colourful look. 

A big plus about using this tool with younger classes is that they don't have to sign up. The mondmaps can also be exported as images such as JPEGS. Students  start with an idea and flesh it out by inserting ideas into bubbles. The bubbles can then be connected and color coded giving a visual representation of the connections between ideas.

I hope you won't mind if I attach YouTube video tutorials today for the sake of time! This one seemed to explain how to use bubbl.us quite well I thought. 






2. Use Spiderscribe to mindmap

I also like to use Spiderscribe to mindmap as you can do so much more with it than with bubbl.us. With Spiderscribe you can easily make a very engaging attractive mindmap:
*you can add a text note, and even include active weblinks
*you can add photos,
*you can attach Word documents or PDFs
*you can attach maps
*you can attach calendar events
Below you can see more clearly the five elements you can add. Spiderscribe can  be accessed at  http://www.spiderscribe.net.  



Below you can see what a Spiderscribe mindmap could look like. You can add a lot more colour than is shown here. This image is taken from Richard Byrne's post on Spiderscribe.  It shows the five different items now added to the mindmap. Spiderscribe also easily allows  collaboration between students.  















Once again I am going to show the instructions via a YouTube video tutorial that seems to explain how to create a Spiderscribe mindmap quite well.




Mindmapping in the classroom

1. Spiderscribe especially is great to use in subjects like History or Geography because the students can make concept maps and add pictures, word documents plus organise the map in such a way that it can be remembered easily.

2. For English classes this can be used to summarise a novel, or create notes on something they are studying. 

3. This is a great way to collect information for a project as well and also to collaborate on projects. 

4. In Language classes students can brainstorm and outline a story they are planning to write

A challenge

*Please try out one of these tools and if you create something do share it with us.
*Please also add any other ideas you may have for using a mindmap in class.

17 comments:

  1. I have played around abit ... how do I share it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi All
    1. I have created a Spiderscribe, how do I upload it to the blog?
    2. How do I invite students without email addresses?
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Used bubbl.us on Wednesday to work on a verbs mindmap with my class. They really enjoyed it as it is so user friendly! The rest of their work on verbs went so well after bubbl.us. How do I share this mindmap?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spent a fun afternoon trying out Spiderscribe with my 9yr old daughter.... sick at home for a week now. Great way of staying up to date with homework!
    http://www.spiderscribe.net/app/?00502a2fcb4c4c9214d0a464efe2376e
    Rene, cape town

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margi - Used bubbl.us to create music theory basics. Worked well may use it and let the older ones fill in missing sections - will try it out this week. Just started with Spiderscribe - need to spend more time to try out all the features there - a little more intense, but can do soo much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Fiona
    I will play about on these mindmaps this week!
    Thanx for sharing...
    Regards
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Fiona,
    I will play this week, I promise :) I love bubbl.us!
    Bye!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have used imindmap before. Would like to train Gr 2 - 5 on Bubbl.us and Gr 6-7 on Spiderscribe. I think we'll have loads of fun.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    I played around on Bubbl.us it is very easy to use and I think it will be great to use for primary school learners. It seems that more can be done with Spiderscribe, but I think both will work great, depending on the age group.
    Mariska

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have used mindmaps in Ms project. Those were difficult, I enjoyed playing around and the tool is very good for brain storming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it would do good to use this tool to summarise a whole lot of lessons presentations for class, that is when you prepare yourself first before to class.

    I love using mindmaps when presenting a lot ideas, in that way I make a connection between them. and I will try using Bubbl.us

    ReplyDelete
  12. I ENJOYED USING THIS TOOLS, IT HELP A LOT IN A SENSE THAT IT WILL BE A LOT MORE EASIER FOR THE LEARNERS AND TEACHER TO DO A LESSON AND HAVE A SUCCESSFUL LESSON.

    I LOVE MOST BUBBLE US AND SPIDERSCRIBE

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was nice working with mindmapping tools, bubbles and spiderscribe. I really enjoy using the spiderscribe as it engage lot of things, such as word document upload, link words, upload maps and pictures. It also make work easier for a teacher and learners

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried both mind maps. One only finds joy in trying these tools. Classes will never be a bore anymore. With bubbl.us I tried an organogram and realized that it is very easy to work with. The colours make it more interesting.

    Spiderscribe is more educational in that it brings out all the details one wants to bring about.Learners will love it and it can be used to illustrate a point in the classroom.

    They are just fun, fun and more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So simple - and so attractive. Spiderscribe is my favourite too.
    Liesel

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Fiona
    Tasneem here. I just made a lovely bubbl mind map on the 5 senses for the Grade R class. Great stuff! Just a quick question...how do I delete a block that I added and don't need anymore?
    Thanx
    Tasneem

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Fiona

    This is a hyperlink to my spiderscribe for grade 5 on SA Energy Resources. I really enjoyed creating it.

    http://www.spiderscribe.net/app/?fa48063dec8229378644b1479bda6624

    Claire

    ReplyDelete