Hello everybody. It is GREAT to have you join the course.
These technology-integration courses from Schoolnet are not designed to be heavy demanding courses but rather awareness courses that offer a Certificate of Completion from SchoolNet to those who complete the very minimal requirements. (At the end of the course you are given a month to complete any requirements should you wish to obtain the Certificate of Completion). The main aim is to develop little communities of learning who learn together for a month, get to know one another and share ideas.
When it comes to teachers and their classes, I am very aware that time is of the essence, and that it is actually almost impossible for a busy teacher to effectively search the web and find great tools to use in the one computer classroom (which is the case for most of us). Most teachers simply do not have the time for this, so this course aim to curate what is there and bring you suggestions that I hope you will like. The thought is that if you like the tool and try it out, please share ideas of how you think it can be used in the classroom with us all.
Our first task for today is to introduce yourself in a comment box below by saying:
*Your name and school
*How you spend your day
*Why you would like to do this course and what you are hoping it will provide.
I'll start the ball rolling...
Hi everyone, I am Fiona from SchoolNet. Last year I was a very busy teacher! Now I am a very busy technology integration facilitator with SchoolNet involved in all sorts of things online and face-to-face. I really hope you'll find this course useful and that if you know of any good webtools you'd like us to explore you'll let us know via the comment box. Enjoy...
ReplyDeleteHi, I'm Estelle Jonker. I'm teaching NS at Northridge Primary school in Pretoria. I am one of those computer "illiterate" teachers! But I am really willing to learn any new thing that I could poossibly use to make my lessons more interesting for my learners. I like reading, camping and sewing BUT my time is spent on marking, marking ,....!
ReplyDeleteHi Estelle, it is great to meet you. Thank you for joining and I hope the course is going okay! Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi, I'm Kathryn Gomes. I teach at Micklefield - Grade 5. I have done courses with Fiona and learnt alot so I am excited to keep learning more.
ReplyDeleteHi Kathryn, it is always so great to have you as part of a course. You are doing amazing things at Micklefield. I was so glad to officially meet you at the Apple Leadership tour. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi, I am Shaheed Khan. I am Deputy Principal at the Western Cape Sport School. I have enrolled for the course as I feel that I have fallen way behind technologically. Perhaps this course will help to bridge the gap.
ReplyDeleteHi Shaheed, so pleased that you have joined us. I am always impressed when people in leadership positions are keen to get on the technology boat. I hope that you are finding the course interesting. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi I am Judi Francisco. I teach at Micklefield School in Cape Town. I am the computer teacher who also fixes anything that uses electricity. We are big on blended learning. I want to refresh, learn anew and anything else that I can in the Web 2.0 world! I can't wait for the course to start.
ReplyDeleteFiona, you are a gem!
Hi Judi, am so thrilled you have joined us again. Love your amazing, bounding enthusiasm. It was great to meet you in person at the Apple Leadership tour. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHello Fiona and fellow web-course community.
ReplyDeleteRene here, teaching Foundation Phase Maths at Sentinel School in Hout Bay via the ngo ABC for Life. I was first introduced to the amazing opportunities for integrating tech into the classroom at EdTechConf last year and am really looking forward to getting some hands-on practice! I would love to be able to take some of the ideas back to the teachers at Sentinel.
Hi Rene, it is great to meet you. Fancy that you live in Hout Bay - that's not too far from my part of the woods. I hope the course has been useful to you. Thanks for joining. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi Fiona!
ReplyDeleteI'm the ICT Integration Co-ordinator at Elkanah House Senior Primary and it is my job to find new and exciting tools and resources for our teachers. I'm here to brush up my knowledge and learn about any new tools I might have missed in my travels around the internet. Looking forward to it!
Hi Karen, it is great that you have joined us. You have such amazing, extensive knowledge about Web 2.0 as it is but I am thrilled to have you on board. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi, I am Sue Hardie from Brescia House School in Bryanston. I teach Grade 6 English and Social Sciences. I love my job and I am always looking for new ways to make my lessons interesting and varied. I am fortunate enough to have an interactive whiteboard in my classroom and the learners have periodic access to netbooks. They love the use of technology in the class. I am hoping that this course will keep me up to speed with interesting and exciting tools to use in the classroom. I have four children of my own, so when I am not sorting them out, I am marking, marking, marking and trawling the internet.
ReplyDeleteHi Sue, it is great to have you join us. I know you from Twitter! You sound busy and motivated! I hope that the course will be useful to you. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi everyone! I'm Sharon Cox, ICT teacher and co-ordinator at Clarendon Primary School in East London. I've joined this course because I'd love to move away from just teaching office and more towards online webtools.
ReplyDeleteHi Sharon, I love it when you join us. Thank you! I am also looking forward to your TeachMeet in East London in September. Regards Fion
DeleteHi Everyone,
ReplyDeleteI seem to be good at blogging then get a bit lost a long the way! I teach IT from Gr R to Gr 7 at a private school Sagewood in KZN. I need more knowledge in using online webtools etc.I need to use more exciting technology in my classes.
Hi Kathy, lovely to have you on board. You have sent me some emails which I will get to answering ASAP. I hope you are finding the course useful. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi all! My name is Garth Spencer-Smith, and I am an education consultant running my own business in Cape Town. I spend most of my day developing resources for teachers and/or training them (and soon to be changing nappies for our first child...). I am no longer in the classroom on a daily basis but wish, through this course, to remain in-touch with all the web resources that can help teachers do more in less time. Thank you Fiona for your awesome work!
ReplyDeleteThanks for joining us Garth. I'd love to see the resources that you develop for teachers - sounds fantastic. I am sure your new baby is keeping you very busy! Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi everyone. My name is Rodney Songo and I am teaching Technology Grade 8%9 NS greate 9 and Physical Sciences Grade 12. I have just recently joined the Schoolnet and I hope I will learn a lot through these causes.I am teaching at E D L Rampola high school in Mahwelereng Limpopo.
ReplyDeleteHi Rodney, great to meet you. Wnderful that you have joined this month's Schoolnet's online course - I hope you will find it useful in your teaching. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi all! I am Bouwie van der Walt from St Andrew's School in Bloemfontein. I'm the Junior School Computer teacher. I am so excited about this course and hope to bring lots of new ideas to my classroom. Thanks for wonderful courses Fiona.
ReplyDeleteHi Bouwie, thanks so much for joining us and for your kind words. It is always great to have you on board. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi all, I'm Margi - teaching music(piano, guitar and theory) at Stirling Primary, East London. Did the peer coaching course last yr and would like to keep learning more to share with my peers and of course make theory more interesting for our budding musicians. A little nervous, but keen. Thanks for doing this Fiona.
ReplyDeleteHi Margi, it is marvelous to have you on board. Stirling sounds like a great school. Just wondering if you have tried Microsoft's free Songsmith for your budding musicians? I have written a blogost about it in the past http://schoolnetsa.blogspot.com/2012/05/explore-magic-of-microsofts-songsmith.html
DeleteRegards, Fion
Hi Everybody
ReplyDeleteI am Claire Dean, Head of ICT at Stirling Primary in East London. My days are packed with teaching Grade 4-7 pupils in the computer lab, monitoring our technician, managing school's mailbox, arranging photographs for the school magazine, trouble shooting, budgets and much more. I am looking forward to the course to get new inspirational ideas for the integration of ICT.
Hi Claire, it is always wonderful to have you on board. Thank you! I am really looking forward to your TeachMeet in East London. You sound so busy - but really glad you have joined us. Regards Fiona
DeleteHi, my name is Tessa Boyd. I am a Grade 5 teacher at Clarendon Primary. Have joined this course to find some new ideas for my class.
ReplyDeleteHi Tessa, thanks so much for joining us again and I hope there will be many ideas you can use. I looking forward to meeting you at the TeachMeet in East London. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHI all, my name is Natalie Cant and I am a Grade 1 teacher at Middelburg Preparatory School. We are still a small school (4 years old) and so hoping that I can learn some valuable things here to add to the growth of our school and teaching methods.
ReplyDeleteHi Natalie, it must be amazing to be part of a new school. Wow! So glad you have joined us, and I hope you will find some useful ideas. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi all, Casey Anley here. I teach English, Life Orientation and Arts & Culture at Livingstone High School in Cape Town. I was blown away by Fiona's Blogging Workshop for AFRITWIN - especially the user-friendly and accessible nature of the course. I would like to learn new tools to use in the classroom and to connect our school with others. Thanks Fiona! Very excited!
ReplyDeleteHi Casey, I love the fact that you have joined us. It is also great to see you on Twitter. I hope that some of these tools will be useful to you. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi! I'm Sue Frederick from Inanda Seminary. I teach Grade 8 Mathematics and Grade 12 Mathematical Literacy. Although I use the computer daily, I'm not very adventurous...technology terrifies me! I would love to maximise the students'learning experience by enhancing my teaching...
ReplyDeleteHi Sue, Thank you so much for joining. It really is worth becoming adventurous, I can promise you! Maybe just start small with one new idea! Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi, I'm excited to be here! A teacher/trainer/editor, now working as part of the Mindset Learn team. We develop and produce education resources using a range of technologies. I hope to discover new and innovative ways to expand our reach to teachers and learners. Thank you, great opportunity!
ReplyDeleteHi Jenny, it must be great to be working for mindset. Thanks so much for joining the course an I hope you will find tools that you can use in your resource development. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHello Fiona
ReplyDeleteSorry I have joined so late. I have been struggling to get onto the blog with my pc so have decided to iPad it tonight! (I am having such fun figuring out my new toy)
Hi everyone
My name is Liesel Kruger. I am an ICT teacher at Stirling Primary School. I have joined because I have a new addiction - Fiona's Fabulous Courses! I just love learning about new things and finding ways to be more effective and inspiring on and with computers.
Hi Liesel, I love it that you have joined! Welcome! And thank you so much for your very kind words. I also love my iPad. I think it is the most amazing piece of technology EVER! I hope you will find some useful tools on this course. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi I am Mariska van Wyk, I am an assistant teacher at Emmanuel Private school in Vanderbijlpark. I am also busy with my PGCE at NWU (Vanderbijlpark), our CAT class at NWU are doing this course. I think this course will be interesting and lots of fun.
ReplyDeleteHi Mariska, it is lovely that you have joined us. You sound busy! I hope you'll discover some useful tools. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi everyone, I am Vanessa Malherbe. I teach Grade 5 at Stirling Primary School in East London. I would not classify myself as a computer fundy but love learning about new computer ideas and gadgets.
ReplyDeleteHi Vanessa, thanks for joining. The Stirling teachers sure sound motivated as there are a few of you on this course! I hope I will meet you at the TeachMeet at Stirling next month. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi
ReplyDeleteMy name is Ryan Williams I teach at a FET College and I'm excited to get started. I really enjoyed pass courses and I'm excited to learn more.
Hi Ryan, fantastic that you could join us again. I hope this course will introduce you to some useful tools that you may not know about. Regards, Fion
DeleteHi, I am Marina Moller a CAT lecturer at NWU in Vanderbijlpark and I asked my students to register for this course to learn how to integrate these tools in the classroom.
ReplyDeleteHi Marina, thanks a million for joining us. I feel honoured that you have asked your students to join the course. I hope they will come across some useful tools. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi everyone, my name is nhlanhla i am a fourth year student in the nwu vaal campus. I am more interest in learning different approach that can be used or included be make my CAT class interesting
ReplyDeleteHi Nhlanhla, thank you for joining us. I think it is great when students join so that they are ready to integrate technology when they start as teachers. I hope you will find the course useful. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi, My name is Selloane Mofokeng and am an educator at Dan Radebe Primary school in Duduza
ReplyDeleteHi Selloane - thanks very much for joining us. It is great to meet you! I hope you will find this course very useful. What do you teach? Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi,my name is Antoinette.I am a teacher at Kloofview Primary School.I really would like to learn more skills and tools on how to technify my classroom using only the resources i have available . During the day i am teaching and in the afternoon i like to go for a walk. I hope i will be able to complete all the requirements in order to get a certificate.
ReplyDeleteThanx
Hi Antoinette, it is lovely to have you join us again. I hope that you are finding some of these tools useful. I like your idea of an afternoon walk. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHello I am MageshSoobiah and have been using some of the ideas from Schhol Net for a couple of months now. I believe that technology can certainly help deliver content in a more exciting way.
ReplyDeleteHi Magesh, it is always wonderful to have you join us. Thank you! Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi.
ReplyDeleteI am Cathy Tansell and I teach at St Marys DSG in Pretoria. I first met Fiona at the ICT Conference 2 years ago and she was my inspiration to learn more. Sorry I missed Week 1 but am happy to be joining now.
Hi Cathy, I am SO glad you have joined and thank you for your enccouragement. Glad to have you on board! Regards, Fiona
DeleteI am Theuns Opperman. I am Head of Studies at Kingswood College. I also teach Afrikaans and Life Orientation. I am interested in how technology can help us grow as teachers. I just started a blog at http://theunsjan.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteHi Theuns, I am so glad you have joined us again. It's GREAT you have created a blog - I have added your address on the SchoolNet blog under 'SA Educators' blogs' on the bottom right hand side. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi Everyone. My name is Nikki Gerhardi and I am an ICT facilitator at Bishops College. I have been privileged to have joined most of Fiona's courses in order for me to be able to keep up to date with all the latest ICT Tools and to assist our teachers in integrating these tools into their classes. I look forward as always to this next course! Thank you Fiona.
ReplyDeleteHi Nikki, it is always great to have you join us - thank you! I hope that you will find this course useful. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHelo. My name is Llewellyn Swart, I am a NWU Vaal student an is very excited to learn more about computers and how to use these tools in my classroom.
ReplyDeleteHi Llewellyn, it is fantastic to have you join us. I hope you will find this course interesting and useful. Regards, Fiona
DeleteI thought I posted my Intro but I don't see it. My name is Nomty Gcaba. I work for SchoolNet as ICT support specialist. I am based in KwaZulu Natal. I am looking forward to the course.
ReplyDeleteHi Nomty, it is WONDERFUL to have you on the course. Thanks for joining. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi everyone, my name is Juliet Lehungwane from North West university in the VAAL in Vanderbijlpark. I'm a 4th year student, studying Teaching in Senior and FET. I miss the first week of introduction and a whole lot due to lack of access to internet and lot of assignments to do but now I am sorted.
ReplyDeleteHi Juliet, it is really marvelous that the students from your university class - and you - have joined. I see a few emails from you which I will answer very soon. Thanks for your enthusiasm. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHI MY NAME IS LISEBO MOKOA FROM NWU IN VAAL TRIANLGE. IM A 4TH YEAR STUDENT TEACHER IN SNR AND FET PAHSE.I LOOK FORWARD DOING THIS COURSE.
ReplyDeleteHi Lisebo, it is great that you and your fellow students have joined us. I hope you will find some useful ideas here. Regards, Fiona
DeleteHi everyone. My name is Radebe Petrus from North-West University, Vaal Triangle Campus studying PostGraducateCertificate in Education. I spend most of time on Computer Internet because I am in love with Computer Applications Technonology (CAT). I am looking forwards to learn and share many interesting ideas with other people and complete this course successfully. Lastly I would to appologies for registering so later, I was under pressure, busy with assignments. I hope my appology will be accepted.
ReplyDeleteDear Colleagues
ReplyDeleteMy name is Saul, Saul Pila. I am an e-Learning Coordinator in Gauteng North District. I am responsible for developing teachers and learners in using ICTs in the classroom.
I have been SchoolNetSA Senior Facilitator for 12 years now and have enjoyed every minute of it. My wish for participating in this training is that I need to empower my teachers in the District.
Regards
Saul
Hi all
ReplyDeleteHope you are well so excited to be taking on a new course as i am very challeged when it comes to computers....hee hee
My name is Tasneem Esau.I work at micklefield as te Grade R assistant teacher and will soon be taking on the Grade 1 class for computer lessons.
Best of luck to all
Regards
Tasneem Esau